This essential recipe for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is a perfect basic covering for any cake or cupcake. See how I tried it with my Lavender Vanilla Buttercream Frosted White Cake Cupcakes.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar 375g
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Sprinkle salt over butter and stir again to combine.
- Gradually, about 1/2 cup at a time, add powdered sugar, waiting until each cup is completely mixed before adding more.
- With mixer on medium-low speed, add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time. Once ingredients are well incorporated, gradually increase speed to high and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pipe or spread frosting over cooled cupcakes. Top with sprinkles, if desired. This frosting will be fine at room temperature for 2 days or refrigerated in an airtight container for about a week.
NOTE: You may need to double this recipe to cover your double layer cake, depending on how generously you like to frost. I found this to make plenty for 1 one-layer 8″ cake and 12 cupcakes.
Yields: frosting to top 12-24 cupcakes, or one 8″ or 9″ layer cake or 9×13 sheet cake
Adapted from: Sugar Spun Run