All the apple cider ice cream I have been making is lovely to eat on its own. But there is always opportunity for improvement, right?
In the midst of all my recent experimenting, I had an epiphany: apple pie ice cream sandwiches!
Imagine spiced apple cider ice cream sandwiched between two little pie crust cookies with a little drizzle of caramel. My mouth waters again just thinking about it!
It was a hit! My product testers agreed that the thin crispy pie crusts were a perfect compliment to the ice cream inside. Thin, subtly sweet and buttery, they’re a simple savory backdrop to the main attraction. The spread of caramel added a rich layer of sticky sweetness that put the whole package over the top.
So whether serving on top of pie or sandwiched between a couple of pie cookies, this one way to make this cider ice cream a slam dunk.
Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Trader Joe’s frozen pie crusts (or other similar ready-made pie crust)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Caramel sauce (I made my own, but any store bought version will work, too)
- Apple cider ice cream
- Thaw 1 frozen pie crust according to instructions (note this may take several hours, so plan accordingly). Keep second crust for another occasion or use both for double the cookie sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a round biscuit cutter, or tracing around the rim of a cup, cut pie crust into circles. (I cut 2 1/2″ sized ones; feel free to size up or down depending on how big you like your sandwiches.) Transfer circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush a thin, light layer of the egg wash over the pie crust circles. Sprinkle about 1/8 tsp of turbinado sugar over each.
- Bake mini pie crusts until golden brown, 13 to 17 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (Tip: place in the freezer for a while to chill more thoroughly.)
- Once cookies are nice and chilled, spread the backside of one cookie with a generous layer of caramel sauce. Place a large scoop of apple cider ice cream onto another half and sandwich the two sides together, pressing firmly.
- To store, wrap each sandwich tightly with parchment and freeze.